SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012

biology is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

I think we're in an age where everything and everyone has to be overly-formally credentialed. It's annoying. I'm surprised you can't get an associate degree in towel folding.

What happened to the good old days when money wasn't changing hands every time someone wanted to do something? I've been climbing and mountaineering for about 20 years now and have introduced a lot of people to the sport and have shared anything and everything I've learned along the way... and I've never charged anyone a dime. "sure, I'll take you climbing. Just let me know what days you're free and I'll look for a day with good weather!" Yup, there are mountaineering schools with certified instructors that have less than a 5th of the experience I do. Of course, they had to pay big bucks to some organization to get a certification (which by the way isn't really a license to do anything), so they'll charge big bucks to teach.

I was lucky to have an uncle with a boat on Lake Erie to sail with when I was young, "sure, I'll take you sailing..."

I wish I heard that at the marina more often instead of, "hmmmmm well, a half-day out is $150 for one person, or $225 for two people..."

I'm not saying lessons are bad; foundation is really important. Finding someone that has been sailing a while and is willing to take you along on a day they'd be out on the water anyway seems like the right thing to do.

Payment? just pick up the first round at the bar when we're done...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook