SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 50

New movie with the Pogo 50

I have to say I am not impressed: making 10.5K with 26.3K of wind at 100º is not a big deal for a performance 50ft boat ad the sea was pretty flat for that wind. Just to give you an example the XP 44, a boat with a better interior and smaller indicates on its ORC file 10.8K with 20k wind at 110º.

This impression is confirmed by the speeds measured on a test made by voile and voiliers. they got: 8.6K speed at 45º with 16k TW.......7.5K at 50º with 10k TW....8.3K at 110º with 9k TW....12K at 140º with 13k TW. All this with almost flat sea.

If we compare this values with the ones from the Xp44 ORC file: 8.53 at 52º with 16k wind, 7.80k at 52º with 10k wind, 8.44K at 120º with 10k wind. The 140º speed value is not comparable since on the ORC file it is a value without a Spinaker and they used a big geenaker om the Pogo test.

The angles are not exactly the same (I have to use the ones on the ORC file) and they slightly favor the Xp 44, but then the XP 44 is a 13.29m boat and the Pogo 50 a 15.10m boat.

I am sure Pogo will make the difference downwind with 25/30k winds, but then, who cruises with 30K winds?

On other hand, upwind with waves the Pogo's wave drag will be much bigger than the one of the Xp 44 and I am sure that those almost similar numbers will turn clearly in favor of the XP44. Of course we are talking about a smaller boat, now, if the new XP 50 proves to be proportionally faster regarding the XP44...

Polars, contrary top the values on a ORC file not always completely accurate but have a look at the XP 50 Polar speeds:

http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/Xp_5...rtrait.pdf.pdf

And the XP 50 is a boat with a gorgeous cruising interior...of course, more expensive but probably faster than the Pogo almost all the time on normal sailing circumstances.

But we are only talking about speed. The Pogo 50, that seems to have a basic but decent and practical interior will be probably easier and simpler to sail than the XP 50 and it will be a more appropriated boat to sail downwind and that's what we do on a circumnavigation, where the Pogo, will be a perfect boat: Fast, stable, easy and with a ridiculously small draft for a boat of that size.

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook