SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Jon,
So glad to hear that you came through this relatively unscathed.

Just coming back on line here in lower Manhattan, NYC. Power/internet restored around 0400.
On Monday I was all over the internet watching the weather and the ominous buildup of the tides as each high tide cycle happened. I watched my barometer too and it was lower than anything I have ever seen before; somewhere near 960 +/-, before the highest surge hit when the power went out and we were knocked back to the 1930's with a battery powered radio our only news and candle light dinners.
The picture below was taken before the surge but the water came up to the white line in the foreground. I was worried about my car which was parked on the street but escaped the high water by about 2 feet. The Hudson River is at the end of the street, on the other side of the West Side Highway or 9A.

Our boat miraculously rode out the storm on her mooring 30 miles up river. I had debated having her hauled out but inertia and a Scotsman's deep pockets prevented that action from being followed. It turned out that many of the boats that did haul were knocked over by the storm surge anyway. The majority of the moored keel boats at our club had mooring failures, ending up in dire straights. All in all, we are quite fortunate.

The clean up effort is made worse by a shortage of gasoline stations as power outages keep many stations from pumping and the supply chain has been disrupted. Long lines and short tempers will be the norm for the next week I fear. The cleanup effort for this one will be a long arduous road.

We are not used to being on the "wrong" side of Tropical weather systems. Sure, some of them have come directly over the Long Island area but we have never before had the unprecedented tidal surge and widespread damage and chaos that this one brought. Low lying, built up areas suffered the worst as might be expected. The damage to the NJ/NY area is devastating.

Counting my blessings in NYC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS-view-from-Greenwich.jpg (39.0 KB, 15 views)

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook