SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Choice of USA Grown Wood for Rebuilding

Yes Sir... I See Your Point,

I read over the differences in ext. plywood vs marine ply and they are not the same in quaility. Question to myself... Could I live with using ext. grade over marine grade... Ans. -- maybe when it's $ 40.00 dollars more. If I work my heart out and replace everything but have material failure, I lose ! I do not want to have ext. plywood seperate in 3 or 4 years or (??). I will be a very unhappy camper with myself. The $ 40.00 bucks (perhaps) I saved will end up costing me $ 240.00 more (adding in all the materials used) or even more $$$ than this. Also, my fustration factor will go off the scale (if I mess up).

Reason for using ext. grade -- it's faily tough stuff but I will not have the boat that long due to health (future) issues. I value the helpful advice vs ext. to marine ply. and everyone has a valid point. I decided to go with marine plywood and this sides with my day to day repair policy.. do it (100%) right or not at all. I will keep my receits and show the buyers that I used the best materials when the boat was refitted, maybe this will help in resale (another justification for $ 40.00 more).

Future test, I have a 4' x 4' sheet (left over) of top ($ 42.00) quaility (3/4) plywood. I used the 1st 4' x 4' section to cut out (12" x 14") pads for my boat stands. I will use the last 4 x 4 section for the top deck pad (3' x 3') for the stair case I'm making to board my boat (ladder will not work on a daily basis). I will not be able to see the quaility of the glues. I will see the ply const. (cross layering & imperfections) make up. I will compare it to the marine ply construction when I cut it to fit, I want to see (at least try) the difference(s) for myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook