SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 24' Corsair
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006

JackMcCann is on a distinguished road
I bought a '76 Bristol 24 this summer, chugged her all the way from Peekskill NY up the Hudson / Champlain Canal / Lake Champlain to Monty's Baywhere she lives now. She sure is solid and took the three foot waves off Cumberland Head like ripples on a pond. Despite a 20 knot head wind, we were fairly dry in the cockpit.

I'm told by the previous owner that she handles very well indeed in New England coastal waters in much larger seas. I find the Bristol very responsive and forgiving. She sails well close to the wind and about the only thing I haven't been able to coax her into is wing and wing. I suspect she's quite capable of the task and that it's the skipper who has the learning to do.

The accomodations are spacious enough. Any 24 ft boat you can stand up in to put on your pants is great. (That was one of my criteria in searching).

I have a question: There is a crackbelow in the arch under the mast. The previous owner said it was there when he bought the boat a few years ago, and that his surveyor assured him that unless it changed for the worse, it was nothing to worry about. I'm thinking I could put in a post, but I'm not sure how best to do this without compromising movement below. Has anyone got any experience with this problem? Any advice will be gratefully considered.
Best,
Jack McCann

Last edited by JackMcCann; 12-14-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook