SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast wiring strain relief
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast wiring strain relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
I am planning on taking Lily's mast down this winter, and re-wiring it, and getting the various lights working. There is an anchor light, steaming light, deck light and VHF antenna wire. I'm not worried about the actual wiring, but about strain relief, that is the thought of 35 feet of wiring hanging from a crimp connection for the next 5 - 10 years. I am thinking of getting some tubular webbing, and wire-tieing the harness to the webbing, then bolting or riveting the webbing to the mast top and bottom, hopefully with enough tension to keep the wires from slapping. My original thought was to use the long zip tie spider method to prevent slap, but I've got internal halyards and I'm not 100% sure that would work. Any thoughts, suggestions or cautions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

lou
I ran my wiring inside foam pipe insulation. It's light, slippery, and no slapping at anchor. The halyards slide right on by. I did strain relief at the upper terminations, and the wire is strong enough to support its own weight for only a 35' vertical.
Buffalo, NY USA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook