SailNet Community - View Single Post - Floated off the stands
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Reread the post. That is not what he said.
Yes he did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!?

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly.

So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
The OP said his boat was worth $18,000... not $180,000. He's also the only one who said the words "oh well" up to that point.

I'm sure the "8 year grandson was a typo"... but I just don't think it's fair to jump on the OP with that aggressive of an attitude especially when prior to the storm everyone was advising and being advised to put the boats on the hard. And I doubt you're going to be able to argue with the marina about how high they jack up your boat when they are trying to put as many as they can on the hard. And then offer the solutions of a tied down that works under a narrow set of conditions that just happened to be reached by the surge in his area.

In truth, I like the idea. Hell, given similar conditions I'd adopt a similar idea... with some changes. Instead of tying down tight, I'd have the tie downs act more as anchors... give me 5 or 10 feet of movement do the boat can lift. Then use a cradle I can secure to the boat so it rides with her as she rises, and acts as a foot. In leu of a cradle, I'd probably try something ridiculous like glueing the stands to my hull, using ridged material clamped to the stands in order to form a home made cradle. Sure... it might not work, but my years of construction and architecture make me think I could give it a hell of a shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook