SailNet Community - View Single Post - Floated off the stands
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
So you might have a couple hundred thousand tied up in your boat. You have 4 or 5 days warning that the hurricane of the century might be coming, and you throw you hands up and say "Oh well!? I'll bet your house is underwater ($ not H20) and that is somebody else's fault too.

My boat is the hole in the water from hell, it's been on hte hard for the past 4 years as I fix one disaster after another with it. I am barely keeping up with the normal deterioration. Plenty of days when a Sawzall and a dumpster makes more sense than working on it. I have liability insurance, but no coverage on the boat itself. In it's current state they'd total it for sure and give me a couple hundred bucks at best.

That doesn't mean I don't worry about my boat floating into your mega yacht and holing it. Nor does it mean I want to lose the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I've invested, even though you can't see that looking at her.

So this past Saturday my 8 year grandson tied her down properly. Four big screw anchors into the ground and 3" nylon straps over the boat. A line from the stern cleat to a post in the ground as well. It held, despite the pile of other boats stacked up against her.

Of course they are lucky too. I don't see any damage to my boat, and I have before and after pictures. So if your boat damaged my boat because you said "Oh Well" then my lawyer is going to earn his keep even if you don't have insurance like I do.
The OP is worried about his boat. You should try a little kindness.
You got lucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook