SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caliber 28 vs. Island Packet 27 vs. Com-Pac 27
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Caliber 28 vs. Island Packet 27 vs. Com-Pac 27

Thanks for the response! We are still hunting. We saw the Island Packet, and like it a lot, partly because it is such a beefy, stable platform for a couple of newer sailers and a little kid with some room down below. However, most of the IP 27s are a bit outside our current budget. We've ruled out the Caliber for the moment, because the one we'd ideally buy is again, a little expensive, and we'd have to move her cross country. The local example, also nice, received a ton of offers in the wake of the Annapolis boat show. But if another comes on the market in our region, it'd be back on the list. We haven't seen the Com-Pac yet.

Since then we've looked at an older Sabre 30 (with a newer engine! -- but the owners been letting her sit for the past couple yrs or so), and are traveling tomorrow to see an IP 26 Mark 1, a 29.9 Bristol, and a 31' CAL. So we are casting this way and that way, trying to figure out which of these boats is still in reasonable condition (since we're not clever enough to take on project boats, only to maintain already nice ones) ... and what will work for us personally. I tend, just by personality, to lean toward somewhat heavier, more forgiving boats, at possible expense of performance; but I am not sure if that is a mistake, and that for the Chesapeake especailly, if a livlier boat like the CAL isn't a good idea.

If anyone has advice/experiences to share, we're all ears....

I am having an especially hard time locating information on the IP 26, beyond the original promotional brochure. I'm a bit fascinated by the fact that she has a centerboard, but wondering if she performs reasonably well/is seakindly for a 26' craft, or if she's really meant just to gunkhole.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook