SailNet Community - View Single Post - in mast furling issues?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012

JohnB40 is on a distinguished road
Re: in mast furling issues?

Hi Brad
I've got a 2009 Beneteau 40 and the furling main is great. Used to charter boats with classic main but furling is so much easier than slab reefing. I don't think it would be the best choice if you were going to cross oceans just in case it ever did get stuck but I've had no problems. The joy for cruising is even if a little wind comes up it takes no time to pull the sail out. If find not enough to sail, takes no time to pull it back in. So no hesitation to try it even if solo.
I think the vertical battens help a bit but she is not a racer. Great in high winds as well. Sail can obviously be furled to any position although there are two marks on the sail representing a first and second reef point to give you some idea of where it will balance the head sail if you reef that to its marked points. There is even a suggested place to put the jib sheet cars for these reef positions .. sailing for dummies, maybe ... but you can fine tune things from there. Is great if anyone on board is a bit nervous of high winds and heeling too far over ... just furl a bit more and peace is restored. Marriage saved!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook