SailNet Community - View Single Post - Floated off the stands
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Re: Floated off the stands

I see I mis-typed. Left out "and I" after grandson.

My reference to couple of hundred thousand was not about the OPs boat, it was about the pile of boats around mine, some that certainly cost that much.

My straps and anchors were sized to hold the boat down even if the water reached the cockpit and flooded her. If it got that deep and she floated and left town it would have been a total loss. Tied down this way might have gotten the boat flooded, but that would be quick to drain out.

Tall cradles along with anchors and tie down straps are a great idea. My boat is under repair with the keel off, so some options were not available at the time.

There is nothing you can do that will absolutely guarantee that your boat won't be damaged. Look at the pictures from the storm. How many boats can you count that would not be damaged if they had simply been tied down? You can't, because there are just too many to count! How many didn't move and were smashed to bits? I'd bet that is just a handful. So for the $200 I spent on anchors and straps we could have saved maybe 98% of the boats in the photos?

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook