SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hexion Epoxy?
Thread: Hexion Epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Hexion Epoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
West System appears expensive out west. It's about about $95 for a gallon for resin locally.
It is - that $150 Ron referred to was the list for a gallon of West resin, then add $35 or more for the hardener plus HST and you're over $200. The no-name that George sells is every bit as good for 1/2 the price.

Trust me, when you're doing a deck recore where the epoxy costs get up near a boat buck, 1/2 price gets to be a big attraction.

From everything I've learned over the years, there are only a small handful of actual resin manufacturers - the multiplicity of brands all use the same base stocks and just tweak the additives for various effects - cold temp cure and so forth. I've used way over a dozen different brands and never had a failure.

If you don't need any specialized aspects, just basic laminating resin, go for the cheap stuff - it's every bit as good as the heavily marketed "name" stuff.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook