SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
T....

You will find on very few of the posters have this experience, but many have offered opinions or accusations and they did so without hesitatuion or hardly any information at all

My biggest problem with the postings are the rush to judgement to afix blame on the captain entirely, and then the glee to assassinate his character. This isnt done by a group of savy well experienced ocean and blue water sailors ( my apologies to the few who have this experience) but is being done by the armchair quarterbacks who start analyzing the situations as soon as the story comes apparent. ..

Dave
Dave,

I don't think the comments that were made by professional sailors on a professional forum were less harsh than the ones posted here. This ones were posted even before the boat was in a mayday situation. They knew already what was going to happen with all probability. Your post and your comments regarding arm chair sailors deserve to be complemented with the voice of professionals and mind you, there was not a single voice in disagreement among them. They are arm chair sailors too?:

Sure lets take a wooden hulled sailing ship out into a hurricane, whats the worse that could happen?
Oh but you see it's a sailing school vessel.
Fully seasoned crew ready for anything.
From their Facebook page:
[quote]
Bounty Update 10/28 2012 11PM EST
One of Bounty's generators has failed....they are taking on more water than they would like.
THE CREW AND BOUNTY ARE SAFE.....
At 2118 hrs The Coast Guard issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast for the HMS Bounty taking on water 90 miles SE of Cape Hatteras, with 15+ people aboard....THAT HAS BEEN RESCINDED...
The Captain will await till morning to determine if Bounty is in need of any assistance.
Guess the captain needs a sea story
They actually left during a hurricane ? The captain is an idiot and should lose is license if that is the case. Needlessly endagering 14 other lives...very bad decision!!
All I can say is pray for them. My local news station reported they sent out a mayday and have lost all propulsion...
I will be praying for them througout watch this morning. Perhaps the captain should stay onboard when they are rescued. Just kidding, but he should never be allowed command of another vessel for the rest of his days!
Update 7 minutes ago from CBC news. Abandoning ship!! CG working on rescue ideas, C130 on scene. I want to see this ******* cPtain crucified!!!!
This captain should be in jail.
Indeed, if he survives he needs to be tried and hopefully convicted of reckless endangerment leading to manslaughter if others die of course.

In looking at the track from the woodenboat website, I suspect that what this clown was thinking was that if he maintained being on the west (good) side of the storm, that he'd have favorable winds throughout and a following sea to ride. Seems fine on paper, but a ship's hull works harder in a following sea that a head sea because they corkscrew so violently. I suspect that the hull worked so hard for so long that all the seams have sprung and that was that.
The praise people are heaping on the captain and saying he made the right choice on the bounty's Facebook page makes me sick. One went so far regardless of the outcome she would have never weathered the record storm surge dockside in new London. WHO CARES! She sinks at the dock its a loss but it still doesn't put 17 people 100 miles offshore in a 60 knot blow. The fact that people still make decisions like this, especially after incidents like the loss of the schooner Phantome baffles me.

The Idiot aboard ( I am somewhat reluctant to call him 'the Master') posted a pretty interesting note on Saturday.
It read something like this: " we are heading out, some would call this wrong. It is a calculated risk".

Well buck-o me thinks you have a different set of calculators than a prudent seaman! And for him to post such a dumb statement shows he was wrestling with the prudence of this decision and trying to justify it.

They sure are acting like they are reckless yachties. Not only did they put themselves in grave danger by trying to sail aroundp Cape Hatteras during a hurricane they will also be endangering the CG chopper crews who will have to go out and save them.

No I am sorry but a voyage of choice not necessity in an old ship into a storm of historic proportions? I don't care about hull condition or experience of the master or crew. We're experienced professionals here and don't need a USCG report to judge this one. If the ship is truly lost then it is a massive failure and if people are lost then it is manslaughter!

HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

Do you still think we have been too severe or out of line?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook