SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

As I have quietly followed this thread, careful not to pass judgement (and realizing I lack the experience to do so), I keep wondering whether the nature of the failure might have led to a similarly fatal result in less severe conditions. It is possible that the storm had little or nothing to do with the root cause of the accident.

It seems that not enough facts have been disclosed to determine this. So many people have repeated the speculation that the boat lost a plank under the stresses induced by the storm that it's easy to mislead oneself in believing that actually happened. So far as I can tell, that is PURE speculation and there has been NOTHING to support that.

So while it's interesting to speculate, we do need to be very careful not to "pile on" based on that speculation.

I do have a lot of experience with investigating safety incidents in the workplace, and in the vast majority of cases the question, "What in the world was he thinking when he did that?" usually has a straightforward answer that suddenly makes everyone realize that the case is not nearly as black-and-white as originally believed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook