SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions of living and travelling under sail..
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions of living and travelling under sail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Fish In the Sea View Post
I'll start with the sailing part of it... for those with experience with the 33 O/I how is that boat for a beginner? Would you sail around the world in that boat (in a year or two... not talking about leaving next week...:P) Or what would you suggest?

Thanks for taking the time.... Q
Carl's Sailing Calculator is a free website that allows you to view data on many sailboats as well as compare their predictive sailing characteristics or enter data on any monohull sailboat and run the calculations.

I am from Louisiana myself and did not grow up in a sailing or boating experience other than the typical 15' fishing boat in Lake Pontchartrain and such. I was a military aviator, flying a wing or flying a sail, the experience is the same to me both wonderful. I have owned Harley's, Triumph's and my current ride is BMW. I can tell you easily to sell the bike get the boat, Boats can take you where bikes cannot, more than physical locations, and their are always bikes when you get to your various destinations to rent or purchase if want.

Suggestions above about crewing on various boats is a great idea though it still can be difficult to get the crewing experience for someone unfamiliar with the sailing scene. God knows "Cut Off" is near enough water, find all the marinas within a 4 hour drive, should be a slew between Madisonville, the North Shore and New Orleans; start hanging out at the one's with sailboats. Take some boating classes through Coast Guard or U.S. Power Squadron. One thing should lead to another.

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook