SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Surely there can be reasons as to why he left port and sailed into a hurricane other than just going on some reckless, adrenaline-junkie mission. Could he have been asked to leave New London by harbor officials and turned down in New Bedford and everywhere else? You just don't pull into a harbor with a 190' ship and expect to find hurricane-proof dock space. Did the ship have adequate ground tackle to even attempt an anchorage up inside Narragansett? I doubt anyone had a mooring adequate to handle him. Could he have been pressured by the ship's owners at the risk of his job? No one knows and we may never know. What would any of us do if we were faced with no good place to use for a hurricane hole? Would we maybe try to put out to sea as a last resort? Let's hear the facts first before we hang this guy in effigy.

The fact is that he did put out to sea. That was his very bad decision. "Unfathomable" is Jon's appropriate adjective for this decision. He could have, instead, run her aground as a last resort rather than risk the crew. I just wonder why anyone with his experience would risk sailing into a hurricane in this apparently less than fully sound ship.