SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Greetings,

It's been a busy week !

I was without Phone and Communications until Friday. My house survived, still no power, but we had Natural Gas Hot water and Cooking.. no Heat though! ( oil)

Miraculously, Tempest Survived almost without a scratch. 1 little gel coat scratch near the stern. She was high and dry the next morning and I started the engine and moved her to safety. I'm on the Raritan Bay in NJ, 15 miles west of Sandy Hook. I hope to change the oil and winterize next week and haul for the winter.

My Parents well into their 80's, lived in the west side of Barnaget Bay 1 block from the water, their home was flooded and is currently uninhabitable, I've re-located them to the PAX River Naval Air Station in Md. where my Brother is stationed until we can figure out the next move for them. ( it was too cold in my house for them) I will return home to NJ tomorrow to begin to deal with the damages to their home of 30 years.
But for now they are safe and warm!

Given all that I have seen in the last week, we consider ourselves extremely fortunate. So much devastation! My thoughts go out to all who suffered loss in this storm and who are still living without utilities and worse. I took a few pictures of my marina the next morning, and of Tempest floating in her slip.

Photobucket

A new Dawn and a New Day~

Last edited by Tempest; 11-04-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add a photo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook