SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Hi all,

... They pay us good money not to fly the airplane, the airplane can do all that by themselves. Heck, my 747-400 and land and come to a complete stop on the runway without me ever touching the yoke or the throttles. What they really pay us for is to make safe and sound judgements and prudent decisions.

That is also the essence of a job of Sea captain. Of course you and them have to know a lot to know what is a safe and sound judgment and prudent decisions.

I confess that when I saw those very harsh comments on a professional sailing forum about the choices of Bounty's Captain, namely to go out on a small wooden ship with a hurricane coming and sailing out with a damaged pump system and without a back up system, I was shocked. After all it was one of them they were talking about.

Then I understood that it was precisely because it was one of them, a professional Captain, the reason they were so pissed: It should be basic to any professional Captain the exercise of safe and sound judgment and prudent decisions and that was not clearly the case in their opinion in what regards this case. It was just because it was not a navigation error or a mistake but such a basic thing that no Captain had the right to do wrong.

I found it funny that one of them, to characterize the attitude of the Captain, said he was behaving like an irresponsible Yacthee, I mean one of us, a non professional.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook