SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

Sailerdave,

Absolutely, I have (6 months) limited sailing experience and trying to get up to speed in the next six months. I will be attending a 3 day refresher course in December and follow on instruction after my 3 days.

Ref. this thread, I was trying to .. obtain added information from Experienced Sailors that have years & years of experience. I have read the -- Single Handed Sailing article and have other books (sailing bibles) arriving this coming week from Ebay.

I (above) already got an a tip, don't go out & buy a big 1st aid kit and think you're there. Buy a 1st Kit that has 5 star reviews and add to it, what I need on board.

The other questions about -- Emer. Gear, I'd like to know what other people have added to their boats (purchased) emer. gear. This is important information for me and to hear Why ! Just reading something in a book is general info. and I'd like to know more. If I was asked the question about survial from going down in a aircraft crash, I could cover this area from A to Z.

The Pirate Deal is an issue that I'm concerned about. I use to fly in the Caribbean area and did intercepts (suspected bad guys). The Grand Turks & Caicos Islands had some bad guy activity. I will address what is permitted to be carried on board in the off topic area.

The other items I'm looking ... real life examples i.e. I fell over board and of if I was single handed ... I would have died... just me in the middle of the ocean as the boat sailed away. The other was unforeseen sickness or injury. How hard is it to contact the USCG or (??). I know what to do if I'm close to a port (no brainer). I asking about how powerful my radio (25 watts) needs to be. I want to be heard when I transmit on emer. channel and get help if I need it.

Closing -- I was all over the place, just trying to cover areas that are not that well covered in the book(s); that's where I going with this thread, so bear with me. I thought that everyone could prosper from some good tips, and may save their life (perhaps).

Last edited by HighFly_27; 11-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook