SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
No I did not miss that word. But using the word "apparently" implies that there are some actual facts to make something apparent. I have not seen enough actual facts to make anything "apparent." I've seen the same posts and links that you have seen, usually from anonymous, faceless sources. Very weak evidence IMO.

I'm not going to go back over every post and link that I've already read, but I seem to recall someone (here or on another message board) claiming to have been on the boat insisting that it actually did have manual pumps at the time he was aboard. So your claimed "major deficiency" may be fictional. I'm not claiming that other person is any more credible than your source, just that there are really no credible facts on this, and there's enough disagreement to negate almost all the current speculation. But enough people will read your post that a week from now someone will vaguely recall your statement and think it was an established fact.

This echoing back and forth of speculation-masquerading-as-fact is one of the dangers of the Internet, where people of differing opinions can latch onto whichever portion of the congnitive dissonance that agrees with whatever they choose to believe. It's the classic conflict between "truth" and "truthiness." Just because something seems plausible does not make it true.
The word "apparently" is often used by news media along with words like "alleged." The connotation of the word means that there is doubt, that things may or may not be true. I have not looked up the word derivation but it is likely the adverbial relative of the verb, to appear. The appearance of things is often very misleading. Check spelling on cognitive dissonance which is more a psychological term describing deep seated and persistent psychological turmoil. Sorry if this word causes you some dissonance.