SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aluminum toe rail leak?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

reed1v is on a distinguished road
Re: Aluminum toe rail leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I don't know what PSC does, or did on that model. If they did use adhesive plus bolts, it shouldn't need to be opened again. Shouldn't be leaking.

Are you absolutely positive that is where the leak is, as opposed to that being the place where the water is showing up on the interior, perhaps after running across the underside of the deck or down from another spot?

I can't see $40k to open the deck and close it up again, are you saying PSC actually quoted that to you? Or a yard did? reed suggested a price for removing the *entire* deck from the hull. That gets way more complicated than just replacing one rail, rebedding one side. And since that's a labor intensive job and labor rates are so variable...Why not get a quote instead of a web guesstimate?
be sure to specify what you want done. if its to stop leaks, a seamless gasket around the rail will do, assuming all the deck fittings are bedded well. if its to rebed the rails, then its a lot more complicated than a two day job. btdt. a lot of the fasteners are impossible to get to from the inside. go look. a lot of the fasteners will by this time be corroded(yes stainless corrodes) and will break off. and taking the rail off may require breaking the top portion of the flange or at least chiseling out portions. you also need to be sure to level out the new mastic so the rail sits flat. otherwise it will leak again. boats move a lot structurally and seals fatigue, metals get stress induced corrosion, and glass gets hard spots.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook