SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Well, thanks for the advice on herring bay and the river. I'll research that.
Today , I think we're gonna plan on staying put. I don't like the small craft adv. and the outlook seems like a little more than our comfort factor.
Other than our desire to get to warmer weather we aren't on any schedule or deadline and really no place we need to be.
Other than the cold issue, this is as good a place to be as any, I guess.
The other factors are;
1. I need to look at another mainsail, the one I have is from a hunter 27 and is old ripped rotten ,blown out of shape and the wrong size for this boat.
2. The dinghy leaks so fast that you have to bail as fast as you row and we're tired of our feet being wet and cold. I can fix the leaks , just takes a little time.
3. I didn't bring much (any) cold weather gear , figurin' we'd be going south and be warm ! well , so much for that. I need to go to a good will and find a cheap coat and maybe some other clothes. Fortunately the rest of the crew is better prepared. I've just been trying to "tuff it out" but it's wearing on me.
4. I gotta get things straightened out on deck better, way outta control and needs to be addressed. Looks like hell and is just wrong.
So, I guess we'll be learning the bus system and walking a bit today. I believe the house of concern is supposed to be near Bacon's so I can kill two birds w/ one stone going ashore. then this afternoon or tommorrow address the dinghy and deck issues.
Always feel less stressed after I formulate a plan.
I have to agree ol' winter is knocking at the door, but I think it would be foolish to head out w/ the issues that need addressing.
On a good note the couple anchored near us have been here a while also heat w/ wood and are staying around for a while finishing their issues aboard. Chatted w/ them yesterday while we dinghy/bailed by and they seemed friendly, always encouraging when we're not the only ones.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook