SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Expensive is the Virgin Islands to Live on Board ?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: How Expensive is the Virgin Islands to Live on Board ?

The watermakers available for shipboard use are all reverse-osmosis types, but somewhat different from reverse-osmosis filtration. They use very high pressure to force the reverse osmosis and that is what uses a lot of power. Although my system is a 24V DC one, I tend to use it when I know that I'll be running my engine for a large part of the hour or so I need to make 60 liters (it makes more, but 1-liter-per-minute is easy to calculate with). The water thus created is purer than tapwater; it is so demineralised that I recall reading somewhere that one shouldn't exclusively drink this water over extended periods of time. Any taste in the water would come from the storage system and piping, not from the watermaker.

I know get a secret pleasure (Schadenfreude, in German) when I watch other sailors do what I used to do - treck 5 Gallon jugs to shore in order to fill up on water from some tap. I hated doing it back then and now no longer need to do it. One feature of watermakers is that they need to be run rather often and a goodly amount of the product water is used to flush the system after use. But for extended stays aboard the wateraker is a huge creature comfort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook