SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aluminum toe rail leak?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

reed1v is on a distinguished road
Re: Aluminum toe rail leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"you also need to be sure to level out the new mastic so the rail sits flat. otherwise it will leak again. " This is supposedly why C&C used butyl tape as their "caulking". Inherently flat and even, so if the bolts are torqued down fairly evenly, the seal is more reliable. In theory. Everything depends on the extent and nature of the leak. When the options include $40K I think I'd consider all the alternaives first, inclduing some baffles and a drain line to the bilge. (G)
the tape still requires lifting the deck and that is not cheap, nor easy. personally i would just leave it alone. boats are wet anyhow. its mostly cosmetic. cover the water stains with teak slats. in places the liners cover the thru bolts. you really dont want to start sledge hammering into the liner. also some of the early psc were screwed together. remove them and you're forced to go the bolt route. of course if the leak is from a mushy deck then other issues crop up. but even with a wet deck, you can sail these boats for decades unless your going to go off into hurricanes, the southern ocean, or winter storms.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook