SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

At this point I would expect the governing authorities to take whatever measures they feel necessary to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again. If that meant they re-classified a boat or changed the rules and doing so would result in a reduction in future loss of life, I would think they should do that. IMHO.

Because of my personal experiences, I have an immense respect for the forces of Mother Nature. I would never, under any circumstances, leave port if I thought there was even a remote chance of meeting up with a hurricane. Never.

Now, I have no idea if the Coast Guard would ever consider creating certain requirements that would call for Coast Guard clearance before setting sail because of this incident. But I can see insurance companies having an impact by voiding policies where they determined a captain or owner of a vessel put the ship and crew in jeopardy.

In the case of the Bounty, there has been sufficient testimony thus far (though not under oath) and evidence to support the belief of many that the ship was less than seaworthy and that the crew was too short-handed and too inexperienced to handle serious weather and therefore the captain should never have set sail. For me, all I had to know was Hurricane Sandy was out there waiting to swallow up anyone willing to take her on.

My girlfriend is in insurance and she said if the insurance company was aware of the Walbridge video, they may have cancelled the owner's policy. Also, quite possibly, Walbridge would be denied life insurance if he tried to apply. The Coast Guard may do nothing beyond the investigation but failure to obtain insurance can motivate people to do things they don't want to do.

In my years in construction I found financial motivation be much more powerful than heartfelt concern when it came to instituting safety measures on the jobsite. Maybe this incident will have that kind of impact or maybe it will all be forgotten until it happens again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook