SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quick! Talk me out of Purchasing a Sabre 30!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
Quick! Talk me out of Purchasing a Sabre 30!

We're down to two boats from our list of prospects: a Bristol 29.9 and Sabre 30 (Series 1). I think, for a variety of reasons, that the Sabre is probably the wiser financial move, and I think she might fit our needs very well too.

I'm about a hair off from making an offer. So quick ... tell me why I am a nut and should not buy a Sabre 30 to be our first family boat ...

Our plans are to sail the Chesapeake weekends and weeks. I want to work up to taking longer trips along the East Coast and ICW. If I can get the time off, I hope we can eventually get down the Caribbean. Besides these sailing goals, our big reason for wanting to get the boat now is that we want to travel with our son. So this would be the boat our little fellow would learn to sail. Needless to say, my husband and I will be doing a fair amount of single-handing, since we have to keep one eye on the baby.

BTW, one side question, on engines: the Bristol has an old Universal (16 HP), while the Sabre's original engine was replaced by a relatively new Yanmar (30 HP). Is there any reason not to prefer the newer, more powerful Yanmar? Can the engine be too "big"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook