SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe Rail Replacement with White Oak or ?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Toe Rail Replacement with White Oak or ?

smurphny I'd have to disagree with you about mahogany being subject to rot. That's true of Philippine mahogany (luan) but not of South American mahogany. Unfortunately there are a number of woods being marketed as mahogany that include: Philippine mahogany, Indonesian mahogany, Santos mahogany and African mahogany. All have grains similar to the real thing and are fine for interior woodwork but some have drawbacks. African mahogany expands and contracts more, especially outdoors which can cause the finish to fail and luan is not as rot resistant. I haven't had the opportunity to work with Santos mahogany so I can't comment on it. That's why I specified South American mahogany in my original post.

I do agree with you that ANY wood used on a boat should be properly sealed before installation.

The real gem is Cuban mahogany, but that's a subject for another post.

BTW, I learned the hard way with African/Indonesian mahogany (khaya). I still have about a thousand board feet in my shop, but it will only be used for interior projects.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook