SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hummm I wonder what you want to suggest with this. I know that they were trying to unsuccessfully sell the boat for several years but..... its is hard to believe even in the possibility of a Captain to risk the lives of others on account of insurance claims

Or do you mean that the Captain was just crazy and was just doing what he said he likes to do: Chasing Hurricanes?

Anyway it is obviously that the ship was there because the Captain wanted, not by accident in a sense that he was not caught inadvertently by that storm. He could have stayed in Port, several of them. Is this what you mean when you say "NOT BY ACCIDENT"?

Regards

Paulo
Sorry, probably a poor choice of words, I'm not trying to infer anything by my choice of that word. I simply meant that the BOUNTY was put into her position deliberately, and I can't imagine anyone in their wildest imagination might think that sailing directly into a hurricane would be a likely means to obtain a satisfactory insurance settlement...

When I first learned of this story, I had assumed the BOUNTY was on a southbound passage from Nova Scotia, that had likely commenced far before forecasters had settled on the projected track of Sandy... Even then, the initial reports had claimed they had sailed due east in and effort to "skirt" the massive storm...

But when it was learned they had departed New London on Thursday, and upon clearing Montauk had laid a course directly into the storm's projected track, it became clear it was no "accident" that placed them off Hatteras when Sandy reached that latitude... There was no accident in the form of a rig or steering failure that disabled them, making it impossible for them to escape, or divert to the Chesapeake Entrance... The track of their voyage shows them making relatively steady, unwavering progress towards the point of her abandonment, that's all I meant by saying it was no accident, or unforeseen problem/failure that put them there...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook