SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe Rail Replacement with White Oak or ?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Toe Rail Replacement with White Oak or ?

There certainly are alternate woods to use in place of teak. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether it is available anywhere nearby. I would love to try some of the woods you guys have mentioned.

As far as the mahogany discussion goes, I guess I have just removed too much rotten mahogany over the years to ever choose it if something else is available. I've owned many wood boats and have dug out mahoganies of probably every species under the sun. On 20s-50s boats there was a lot of very high quality mahogany, beautiful tight grained stuff, but once it gets fresh-water wet in an end grain, it's just a matter of time until you can poke a knife through it with little effort. Just my opinion but given a choice as to a species for planking, topsides, decks, bulkheads, etc. mahogany would be pretty far down the list. It's best attribute is that it's beautiful when varnished and easy to work with.

In the construction industry mahogany is becoming more available for decking. Anyone using it is in for a sad surprise in not too many years. They may as well use white pine. Yellow pine is still a MUCH better wood for this and is also appropriate for boat structures. Long-leaf yellow pine, if you can find it, is almost as rot resistant as locust. It's ugly as the dickens but has good rot resistance. In the woods, locust can lay on the ground for many years without the slightest sign of rot. It's pretty amazing. Cedars are great but much too soft for most things. Firs/spruces all rot fairly quickly although some have excellent weight/strength ratios for spars and such.