SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

biology is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

@hellosailor... yeah, I got those meds at wal-mart just the other week.. they were all mixed up in a huge mid-aisle bin. I rummaged and found what I needed. They've been on sale like that a couple times. I think it's luck hitting the sales (and stocking up when you can).

Another thing to mention is a thermometer... I don't like the battery types for a kit that'll be stowed. Just something else to maintain and who knows what'll happen if they get soaked. Stick with old school!

Also, I'd recommend going to a travel clinic/physician. You can google them and find one in your area. Make an appt. and pop in. You discuss your travel plans with an MD and they'll make sure you're immunized for wherever you're going, plus give you some good travel advice for medical situations that may arise there. They can also discuss travel medical insurance as your regular insurance probably won't apply. Most travel medical insurance covers getting you state-side asap in the case of a medical emergency. That type of critical care transport can be seriously expensive (I worked and taught as a Paramedic for a long long time: I teach Anatomy and Physiology at a college now). The other nice thing about a travel clinic is they'll Rx antibiotics or other meds that may come in handy for your trip. I went to one before a couple different trips to Guyana teaching emergency medicine to nurses there (that would then teach pre-hospital EMT skills to others: since there are only a handful of ambulances in the entire country... and good luck finding one staffed with a driver... none the less a driver with medical training).

(other supplies not mentioned before that are good to have: cravats for sling/swath, triple antibiotic ointment, GOOD tweezers, a couple sterile needles for draining wounds, some syringes for irrigating wounds (or use a zip loc bag and poke a hole in it.. those work fantastic to irrigate wounds), and tegaderm is cool stuff for skin tears)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook