SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
On Monday morning, October 29, the tall ship HMS Bounty was in the embrace of Hurricane Sandy 90 miles off Hatteras, NC and taking on water. Doug Faunt, N6TQS, survivor and ship's electrician, told the ARRL that the Bounty crew tried various methods to call for help, including a satellite phone, “... we got nothing when tried calling out on HF. We tried calling the Maritime Mobile Net, but nothing was out there. We had Winlink on the ship that we used for e-mail and accessing the Internet to post to blogs and to Facebook, and we finally found an e-mail address for the Coast Guard. As a last-ditch effort, we used Winlink to e-mail the Coast Guard for help.
"We had Winlink on the ship that we used for e-mail and accessing the Internet to post to blogs and to Facebook"

Internet is great but hardly the best way to call a SAR

I found another armchair sailor that says the Bounty should have not sailed out of New London, the Captain of the Pride of Baltimore:

Jan Miles, longtime captain of the tall ship Pride of Baltimore II, said going to sea was not a decision he would have made.

"It wasn't like it was a surprise there was a hurricane," he said

"These things are too big for a slow boat to outmaneuver," he said. "Had I been asked what I thought Capt. Walbridge would have done in this instance, it wouldn't have been this."

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/tall...essel-nc-coast

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-05-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook