SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question regarding Rocna Anchor's Roll Bar
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Question regarding Rocna Anchor's Roll Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Grimek View Post
chef2sail, would you mind elaborating? How things "feel" or "look" to you when you're anchoring and anchored in blows? Can you or your boat feel any very definite differences between your old CQR and the Rocna? Do you feel, for example, a significantly more robust bite when you place your hand on your chain, feel the boat come 'round or stop much more abruptly with the Rocna?

I looked one over again on the docks today and even felt it over :-0

Cheers.
Back in early September I had a chance to load up my 35 Mantus, 33 Rocna and my 35 CQR. I only had a couple of hours so the other anchors stayed at home. I used a twin screw 30' sport fishing boat with 450HP to pull test these anchors. I own a 5000 pound rated digital load cell that was used for measurement.

With the Mantus and Rocna I easily approached where I thought I might pull the cleat from the vessel, and being my brothers boat, I decided I'd be nice and back off...

I registered over 4500 pounds twice, once with each hoop style anchor. The 450 HP could not muster that entirely and I had to get sort of a momentum start. The Rocna and Mantus set within inches, first try for both, and never dragged.

The CQR took 6 tries to get it to hold beyond 200-300 pounds. When it finally was "set" it dragged slowly through the mud bottom never breaking 500-600 pounds of steady load. It had a couple short blips over 800 but I suspect that was rocks or debris it dragged through on the bottom...

I had intended to make a video, as I often do, but when I got there I had forgotten my SD card in my computer..... I plan to repeat this next season when my brothers boat goes back into the water.

So to answer your question yes they do feel different both in the way they set, which is usually instantaneously, and like you are tied to a concrete dock, and they don't budge once set..

I used CQR's for nearly 20 years. Having now owned a Manson Supreme, Spade, Rocna and a Mantus I can honestly say there is no comparison between them and a CQR in initial setting, re-setting and sheer holding power...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook