SailNet Community - View Single Post - easier diesel bleeding
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Re: easier diesel bleeding

Bleeding the fuel system on my Universal MB20 scared the crap out of me with fears of not getting all the air out of the system and having a motor that wouldn't run. A friend of mine gave me a tip which I did and it makes the whole thing much easier. He suggested I do what he did and install one of those fuel line squeeze bulbs in the feed line. Did it last spring and it works great and was tested on two occasions.

The first was the basic fuel filter change which I had never done. Removed the old filters and installed new ones after filling as much as I could with fuel. Opened the bleeder screw at each filter, hand pump until fuel comes out with no air and shut the screws. Did on primary and secondary and engine started up fine. With this arrangement I can be right over the engine and watch bleeder valves while I pump.

The other was an occasion while on the water. Was motor sailing out the channel and heeling pretty good. About 3/4 of the way out the engine sputters and dies. After a brief moment of panic I thought through things and realized what the problem was. I had let the fuel get below half a tank. We were on a starboard tack with a fuel pickup on the starboard side so with all the fuel pushed over to port the engine died. Got back to flat sailing and did the same process as changing the fuel filters and started right up.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook