SailNet Community - View Single Post - The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

Gary,

I've long been curious about how you've been faring, your trip report is very interesting. Hopefully Melissa has added to your toolset so that you can better manage things on your own, if you have to.

I have a M33 O/I parked next to me in my marina, so I've finally got an idea of what you're sailing. My limited experience tells me that you made the right choice of motoring down the ICW, where as I would use it to get past Cape Hatteras, and then pop back out, and sail down the rest of the coast in open water. I think my 5' draft would make the ICW a real hassle to do it for the long haul.

It sounds like you're not really a big fan of solitude. There are ways to deal with that. Even though you'll probably never race, there are some very good documents and studies of single-handed Transpac racers that can shed some insight on how people deal with long periods of isolation that may help you.

One fellow on SN (Foolish Muse?) has written a great single-handers guide. It's FREE, and I highly recommend it.

I'm glad you're ok, and that your journey is nearing it's end.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook