SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
I couldn't handle all that at once. I've been out on Pensacola Bay four days straight on a Catalina 22 trying to digest and integrate what I learned in 101. I'm still scratching my head as to why the boat won't stop spinning in a circle on a heave-to, couldn't imagine trying to deal with anything more than the basics at this point.
Spreading it out in order to master things from level to level isn't the worst idea in the world.
Most importantly...are you sure you have the rudder locked so it's pointing the boat into the wind? I do a slow tack, back winding the jib, steer the boat back into the wind, lock the rudder and ease the main slightly. Try this before reducing the jib.

Back on topic; I never learned as much as I did when I took a solid week of skiing lessons. For years, I would take a lesson or two and would be back to square one at the beginning of the next season. The week lessons made me a better skier for life. Of course, skiing depends much more on mussel memory than sailing.
In the SF Bay Area we have several on line crew lists where you can get experience on other peoples boats. I'm a veteran windsurfer, but never took a sailing course. I crewed on other boats, then bought my own. Now, I'm a skipper on the crew lists and take other people out. My experience regarding sailing schools is summed up here:
Training and Developing Crew
In any event, crew lists could be a good option, especially if you are not sure you want to sail. We also have a very cool yacht club on the coast that has a great teaching program.

Last edited by L124C; 11-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook