SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

Smith, you are probably correct that drowning or near drowning are major or the major concerns on board overall but out cruising away from immediate medical care burns, sprains/fractures and stomach/intestinal upset are probably more of an issue.

My partner , the Wombet, pulled a pot of boiling water over herself a couple of years back when we happened to be anchored within fifty miles of major settlement yet had no VHF or Mobile Phone reception. The adequacy of our first aid kit and a modicum of knowledge meant that we could treat the problem where we were and had no need to go into panic mode. Had we been five miles distant from where we were and had the problem been worse, then we could have called in a rescue helicopter or boat but had we been far from land that would not have been an option.

I don't have any statistics to back this up but I'd guess that drowning is a fairly minor concern to off shore cruisers.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook