SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

I watched the interview this morning. I'm not surprised they were fond of their Captain. For sure, they all knew the storm was coming, so they must have trusted him to stay aboard. That is precisely why he is going to be held responsible for this event. That isn't a conclusion based on facts, that is just a fact in and of itself. He was the leader.

What I found most interesting was the noted lack of any information about why the boat was taking on water. It is not uncommon that exclusive media interviews are negotiated in advance, particularly when there are pending legal actions. I find it hard to believe the interviewer would have forgotten to ask how the boat came to take on water and sink.

The ongoing fact that this Captain had taken Bounty into a hurricane before are mounting. Now the crew acknowledged it. This is a risk management concept that is well taught. People take on risk, survive it and begin to believe they are able to manage it. In reality, the risk isn't a 100% killer and they won the previous hands. If you keep playing, you eventually come up craps. Call it the preponderance of evidence, if you are offended by a conclusion prior the government report.

Now here is something I find ironic. So far, the only purported facts that I have read that have proven false where those in defense of the Captain: sailed to protect the ship, sailed East of the storm, didn't sink off Hatteras. Maybe I missed some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook