SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boom Kicker Boom Vang
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2000

BenDaniels is on a distinguished road
Boom Kicker Boom Vang

I very much recommend the BoomKicker. I have a 1995 Sonic 30 (ULDB), a fractional with a large main and 13'' boom. The rig is Sparcraft and they, as a company, have been no help at all; but, the people at Seoladair were extremely helpful and responsive. They even helped me with the mounting issues I had...i.e. several mailings and a modified part. It finally ended up very easy with no holes drilled in mast and boom. This is a very clever device backed up by excellent customer service.
As for function, it does what I had intended at less than half the cost of the Spinlock Powervang...prettier, but requires "locking" at the device. The boom is supported in light air and the unruly main can be flaked by less than three people. I locally purchased a unit one size larger than recommended because I needed the extra length, then Seoladair Ltd.exchanged the supplied tensioning rods for a lighter "bendier" set. The unit is very lightweight with enough travel at the boom end to give me a wide range of settings, and it is easy to bend with an 8:1 purchase (added 2:1 cascade to the existing 4:1).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook