SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by biology View Post
I'd go with a SAM splint (the longest one that comes rolled up). Pretty cheap ($10-15), easy to use, compact, and lots and lots of splinting uses.

Dunno about the BVM (ambu bag). That's a bulky (and more expensive $20) item that could be remedied with a simple pocket mask ($5). Plus the person would have to be trained for how and when to use a BVM. The pocket mask is easier to use and works fine. Current AHA guidelines support ventilationless chest compressions ("compression-only CPR") with evidence of high efficacy anyway for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest management. Isolated respiratory arrest without cardiac compromise is rare and most likely exacerbation of a pre-existing medical condition such as asthma or COPD. In that case, it takes us back to crew-specific Rx meds and a face mask.
Yes, the pocket masks are what I have. The only reason I'd maybe choose something bigger like a bag is the yuk factor. Having been on a number of situations away from immediate help, continuing CPR for any length of time can be a messy proposition. Training is definitely needed to use an airway but they can mean the difference... I've been out of FA for a long time and am sure there are lots of things I'm not up to date on. In the 12 years I spent as a full time first-aider, I learned the common sense is the main thing needed in any FA kit. Unfortunately you can't put that in a sterile wrapper.

The ladder splint I mentioned sounds like the SAM splint. It's just a rolled-up flexible wire splint, about 4" wide and maybe 4' long when unrolled.

Sailing is not a particularly safe thing to do. There are ample opportunities for cuts, lacerations, head injuries, compound fractures, etc. A good FA kit, not just the WalMart variety of band-aids Hellosailor referred to, really should be a priority.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-06-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook