SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

Biology,
Yeah, I'm a residency trained and board certified Emergency Physician for 28 years in a very busy urban ER and level 1 trauma center with between 130-140,000 patients I've personally cared for in my career. I've intubated and resuscitated a few people. I won't hold myself out as an expert on law or even sailing, but I will hold my ground on emergency medical care.
Your analysis of drowning is correct, from a physiologic standpoint. Dry or wet, salt water or fresh doesn't make much difference in resuscitation, you've got to get them breathing, get their heart started, and get their tissues perfused, and once they're stabilized, then you start putting out fires.

Smurpny,
You're right about common sense, but isn't that a rare commodity- it's really the application of knowledge and experience, eh?

tdw,
You're absolutely right. Very few will ever have to resuscitate a person. But we'll all be called upon to treat a burn, a cut, seasickness, even as a coastal cruiser or day sailor, and that's what people should read up on and prepare for. I had a similar episode as yours in the BVIs when my wife sustained a nasty 2nd degree "lap" burn from spilled hot water. Knowing how to handle it turned a painful and potentially trip-ending injury into an inconvenient but tolerable nuisance. Being able to help seasick crew allowed me to finish more than one race that I otherwise would have had to scrub. I even stitched a cut to my chin using a mirror in my cabin one time so I wouldn't have to cut my sail short.

Last edited by msmith10; 11-06-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook