SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

View Single Post
post #77 of Old 11-06-2012
TakeFive

Re: Hurricane Sandy: How did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I fail to see what is so "freak" about this Storm. We've had many storms hit the East Coast, including New England. I believe one brushes every 5 years and plows right through every 20 years. The hurricane of '38 is still considered the deadliest, having killed about 700 people. Did NYC think it was immune?

I have complete passion for those affected. I just find it odd that so many think this was a trend of some kind. A new spot on the East Coast pulls the short straw all the time.
I dunno, in this part of the country we had Irene last year, and Sandy exactly 13 months later. Not sure I recall a precedent here for two near-direct hits in consecutive years.

In a few years we'll have a better idea whether this is the start of a trend. Extrapolating weather observations to climate conclusions is always risky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Take Five is for sale (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome