SailNet Community - View Single Post - ahoy
Thread: ahoy
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
22 footer

2belize&back is on a distinguished road
ahoy

I feel fortunate 2 have this portal into the experiences of other fellow wind catchers & the opportunity 2 share the highlights of my low-tech/low-budget 4000 mi journey in a '72 Catalina 22', off-shore & along the ICW Gulf of Mex.
My on-the-water history began in 3rd grade on Long Island Sound as a dead weight in a Blue Jay race & canoeing Old Mill Pond in Westport, CT.
/> Vermont; more canoe & some kayaking. /> New Mexico; 120 mi., 2-week trip solo in a 15' sea kayak on the Chama & Rio Grande Rivers. /> North-west; 3 solos (400 mi each ) from Lewiston, Idaho 2 Astoria, Oregon, learning to sail along the way (serious knockdown) on the Snake & Columbia Rivers in a 18' Hartley Trailer Sailer. I named her "Driftwood". On the last trip, I snapped a mast at the spreaders. I ordered a new mast, took the old rigging, put it on the new and snapped that one also. I gave her to a kid who wanted to sail. /> Crewed a 40' Hunter down the Oregon Coast. The Captain was crazy & I jumped the ship in Northern California. /> Texas; I saved
$7,500 and drove to Kemah. Madee a 100 phone calls and found her. While
living aboard and working on her in the storage yard/boat launch area, other sailers came by & offered help & and advice (much needed). I hoisted a Texas Lone Star flag in tribute to their kindness and named her "Catch 22".
2 be continued ....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook