SailNet Community - View Single Post - The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: The ICW - Single Handed - Well, Almost!

I've read many books on single-handed sailing, most were pretty informative, and I have a couple new ones on the boat. I guess my biggest problem with solitude is that I've always been a people person - that's why I'm an entertainer/musician/singer. I have the absolutely best job on the planet, and in my profession I come in contact with hundreds of people every day. In the world of entertainment it's called schmoozing with the audience. When I'm alone for days on end and there's no one to sing to other than myself, well, for me at least, lets just say it's a bit difficult.

Another 180 miles to Stuart, where with any kind of luck I'll be entertaining at a local American Legion for about two or three weeks, then off to Miami to meet up with Mel and a few of her lady friends. A couple days later we should all be in the land of beautiful water, palm trees and warmer temperatures. With any kind of luck I'll be singing my heart out at the Hurricane's Tiki Bar a couple nights a week.

Wing, that second set of eyes is a wonderful assett I wish I had. It's somewhat difficult to look at the chartbook, the companion book, day markers, depth finder, GPS/Plotter, etc..., and still have enough time to avoid the snags. I've only shot about 40 photos thus far, which is a fraction of what I hoped to have in the can by now. Can't get the camera out while steering the boat and not hit something in the process.

I was astonished yesterday when a nice bunch of folks at the city dock in Saint Augustine gave me some high 5's for manuevering the boat and backing into the slip while the current and wind were trying to push me somewhere else. I always like to back into a slip, mainly because it's a lot easier to get out under less than ideal conditions.

More to come, and with luck, some great photos in the very near future.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook