SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012

biology is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Aid at Sea & Important Like Items to Carry

at least the lac wasn't on your scalp... "Hand me that stapler..." Now THAT would've been fun to watch, "hey doc... you ummmm need a hand with that?"

I think the self-sufficiency aspect touches home with a lot of us and I think you make a great point. Going back to the original post, we want to prepare for the potential unseen that comes our way. But it's not always a matter of how much stuff you can shove aboard to overcome poor cognitive preparedness.

For me sailing is as much a thinking game as it is playing by feel.... like a riddle that's fun to solve. Trying to sail close to wind that keeps fluctuating between soft air and strong gusts, finding yourself in changing conditions or situations that require problem solving.... and knowing you (with your crew if you have one) have to figure it out.

Qualified medical crew isn't easy to come by... if you also become a diesel mechanic you could probably hitch so many rides you'd circumnavigate.

btw, my uncle used to have a boat slipped in Lorain, not too far from you. He let it go and is apparently in the market for another (nearing a slightly early retirement selling his periodontal surgery practice)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook