SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I guess the Captains of those boats, I mean fragile timber relics, also called tall ships, know a lot more than you about that.

At least 4 captains of tall ships come forward saying that they did not understand the Bounty Captain decision to sail away from port to face an Hurricane. One of them had the ship on the same port where Bounty was and the ship did not suffer any damage with the bad weather.
Paulo, I was specifically responding to a post regarding "ships leaving port" and why they might be required to do so.

I did write "Unless it's an extremely well-protected harbour.." (and you say the port HMS Bounty left from was such a harbour), and "..how you handle the ship and where you go after you leave port is another matter entirely."

I'm sorry you did not see that. If it is a safe port of course he should stay.

For example: We have a few cyclone-safe ports and many cyclone-unsafe ports along our coastline. AFAIK, the unsafe ports all require ships to leave if a cyclone is forecast to be travelling in the direction of that port. I was in that situation in a modern ship (well, a steel passenger liner) in 1996 that had to leave port in the face of a Typhoon. One container ship that stayed in harbour sank at it's moorings; all that left survived.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook