SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Probably legal, but safer the way Joe's doing it: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?

Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:
Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.
Note: US Coast Guard documented vessels using Maryland waters are NOT exempt from the vessel excise tax. When used principally in Maryland, documented vessels must display a documented use decal.

If your vessel was purchased in Maryland and will use Maryland waters a majority of the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of purchase to avoid assessment of penalty and interest.

If your vessel was purchased elsewhere or previously registered in another jurisdiction, is now in Maryland waters, and will use Maryland waters more than any other single jurisdiction during the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of entering Maryland waters.

If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you may be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use in another jurisdiction.

The harbormaster does check all the anchored boats, as I understand part of a homeland security requirement (proximity to the Naval Academy???? I never said it made sense). As for them requesting your cellphone, the good news is that if you're dragging, or someone's dragging into you, it makes it easy for harbormaster to contact you, we've had to have him do this for a boat dragging here in Back Creek during a storm.

It would be funny if you could post that sign, Joe. Sometimes we love this place, sometimes - especially around the Annapolis Yacht Club and a certain other marina that caters to very large vessels - we're repulsed by the snootiness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook