SailNet Community - View Single Post - easier diesel bleeding
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Re: easier diesel bleeding

Maine Sail, what is it about a diesel installation that makes use of a fuel bulb a bad idea? One cracked bulb does not make a case that it is never a good idea, it could have been a faulty bulb and a faulty fuel line is just as possible. I understand my engine makes bleeding possible but the ease of simply squeezing the bulb to push fuel is a lot easier than messing with jumping lines. A squeeze bulb is designed to be used repeatedly with a gasoline engine and is generally outside. I will use mine one to two times a year and will be inside out of weather at all times so very protected. I have read some about this idea including below and am happy with the idea. Idea I saw a few times of replacing it every five years or so is a good idea.

From BoatDiesel.com.
"I have been using Squeeze Bulbs with diesel fuel for well over 20 years now. I still have not seen one rot or fail externally, so to me they have withstood the test of time in the field."
"Nothing I have used does a simpler or better job than the old fashioned and simple "Squeeze Bulb" as to priming the system or using it as a tool to check for other fuel system problems."
"I think the value of this type in installation is 100% obvious to most anybody that has gone through priming a diesel engine in a vessel from both the practical and safety standpoint when you have to get your engine running"

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook