SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Whilst not all that relevant to the topic at hand, just to clean a few things up:

Teredo worms are still a problem in many parts of the world today, but with the advent of plastic boats you don't hear about it so much - paint can get chipped by anything striking the hull..

FWIW, copper sheeting was installed primarily for it's anti-fouling properties - not worm resistance. Even back then it was prohibitively expensive, so only those who needed it for speed (eg. tea clippers) or could afford it (eg. parts of the navy) used it. Everyone else fixed a thin layer of cheap sacrificial timber to the outside of the hull with hundreds (thousands!) of copper nails. The worms burrow into the outer layer and thus leave the hull alone.

We used to install a shoe on the keels of wood boats to keep the worms out. Toredo worms have never gone away. I guess they just have to find their dinner somewhere else nowadays Copper sheathing also stopped some water ingress as well as keeping the critters out and barnacles off (for a while). One of the methods of keeping a garboard seam from leaking was(is) to run a copper strip from keel/keelson to plank. Makes me remember with fondness what fun wood boats were!