SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau 37 teak seats
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Beneteau 37 teak seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
I don't know who was the manufacturer but I'll ask him when I see him next. My First 42 is probably like yours in that the seat teak is pretty much all I have. The cockpit grate is made of teak but is a lot newer and in good shape so I'm lucky there.
For what its worth, I had a local company (Sarasota, Fla) that specializes in teak decking--making decking for quite a few manufacturers of luxury yachts in the US and abroad--do an estimate to replace the teak in our cockpit (excluding the grating)--also a Beneteau First 42--that came in at nearly $6,000 USD. I was stunned by that but, because of restrictions on the import of the material, it is extraordinarily expensive and so makes the work costly. The synthetic may be a good option as it seems to be what is used on the new boats and from what I've seen, seems to look pretty good and work pretty well. For the moment, however, we are still just giving the seats a good scrub with teak cleaner (across the grain) and giving them a coating of Tropical Teak finish and they look pretty good for 5-6 months at a time.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 11-07-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook