SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need To Hire A Local "Up The Mast" Person
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Need To Hire A Local "Up The Mast" Person

Just put of the box thinking here.

I replaced my wire to rope halyards a few years ago with all rope halyards. The sheeves at the top were wide enough but actually had a groove for the wire which hung up the all rope new high test halyard. I wound up having to replace the sheeves.

Wonder if this might be the case.

Another possibility since you cant find a cam cleat is that since many jib halyards with furlers are left up the entire season or maybe even multiple seasons without lowering them the pressure of the line seating in the sheeve coupled with the salt air and moisture from rain have turned it hard. ( kind of like your jib sheet knots on the clew at the end of the season.

It is a good practice to raise and lower a jib halyard at least once a month during the season. Also to was the top swivel out with fresh water and check on the sail threads and shackle at the top.

lets me know what the results of this are.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook